Project Portfolio Management Prerequisites
In order to be successful with Project Portfolio Management a number of prerequisites must be met:
- The will to change;
- A pathfinder project;
- Celebration of successes;
- Proper selection, training and coaching of employees;
- Time to manage Project Portfolio Management as an asset.
In order to start with Project Portfolio Management you should first hold a kick-off meeting. This should a workshop type of activity, so that through a brainstorm of all kinds of issues can be raised. The workshop should be lead by a facilitator, and a scribe should record the results. The next step is organize all these issues in a structured way. An in this domain experienced analyst should execute activities as:
- Identification of further and / or related issues (list of all issues).
- Formalize all issues in the same way (all issues are fully described).
- Standardize them (all issues are described in the same way).
- Generalize (make them more abstract).